POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: Motion Blur [NOTE : Followup-To: set to p.unofficial.patches!] : Re: Motion Blur [NOTE : Followup-To: set to p.unofficial.patches!] Server Time
3 Sep 2024 00:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motion Blur [NOTE : Followup-To: set to p.unofficial.patches!]
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 30 Nov 2000 20:02:36
Message: <3a26f8ac$1@news.povray.org>
"Scott Hill" <sco### [at] innocentcom> wrote...
>     Sure, but, because the sphere is defined as having the foo pigment,
does
> it not make sense that the animation on the pigment should get blurred
along
> with the motion of the sphere ?

The issue here is the implementation.  It works by creating multiple copies
of the object (one for each time sample).  It does that by parsing the
motion_blur block multiple times.  Anything outside of the motion_blur block
is only parsed once.  This means that only one, static, copy of your foo
pigment gets created, and this static copy is applied to each copy of the
motion-blurred object.

Granted, this may not be the most intuitive, but I had a limited amount of
time to add the feature.  (I got a brainstorm, based on a suggestion by Ron
Parker, and I implemented it for the fun of it... if people find it useful,
that is a bonus.)  Enhancing the syntax to include features such as what you
ask for would be very difficult.  If anyone wants to do it, they have my
blessing.  However, I will not try that until the re-write for POV 4 gets
started.  The current code was not written with this feature in mind.

-Nathan